Monday, May 1, 2017

Appetite for Destruction

"C, do you know where Mummy's headphone earbuds are?"

C has a good think about this, a proper serious concentrated moment of thought, and then she looks excited. Still concentrating hard, she strings together her first entire sentence.

"C eat up them!" she tells us, very proudly.

They aren't anywhere else in the house. So until further notice, I guess they're in our daughter's bowel.

Could have been worse. When I shared this story with my mum over Whatsapp, she remembered when I was little and was suspected of having eaten the pin from a Remembrance Day poppy. Apparently, the hospital gave me cotton wool sandwiches to eat, hoping that the wool would wrap protectively round the pin and save my young intestines. And then if that doesn't work, you swallow a spider to spin some silk, then a bird to catch the spider before it gets out of control, then a litre of morphine so at least you die painlessly.

Hooray, what a splendid way to spend Valborg and May Day - rooting through well-filled nappies to make sure they haven't become a permanent fixture. Happy holidays, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment